“May you touch dragonflies & stars, dance with faeries & talk to the moon. May you grow up with love & gracious hearts & people who care. Welcome to the world little one, It’s been waiting for you.”
When I was pregnant with my son I had this huge urge to make him a custom wall art canvas for his nursery. I am obsessed with Pinterest (as you all probably know!) and loved looking at all the nurseries that people post about. I started looking for some wall decals with cute quotes for his room and I came across this quote decal by Vinyl Masterpieces on Etsy. I fell in love with it and knew I wanted to create something special. It took me a few days to complete this project but I felt so accomplished at the end and would recommend doing a similar project to just about any new mom!
Canvas Decal Tutorial:
- Wall Decal of your choosing (quotes work best)
- Credit Card/ Decal Rub Card
- Canvas that is bigger than your decal (not too much bigger or else you’ll have extra space)
- Painters tape
- Paint in your choice of colors
- Paint brushes
- Modge Podge
- Ruller & Pencil
- Book or hard surface for under the canvas
- Start by laying out your design you want to keep white with the painters tape. I decided to go with a chevron theme in my son’s room so I did a cross between a chevron and herringbone pattern.
- Paint your desired colors over the whole canvas. Make sure you let it dry completely between layers of paint.
- Wait at least 4 hours for the paint to dry.
- Peel off the painters tape, being careful not to tear any of the paint that might have stuck to it.
- Apply one thin layer of Mode Podge. Let dry completely before next step.
- Line up your wall decal and tape down so it won’t move but you can still access the other side.
- Put your book or hard surface under the canvas so when you start rubbing the decal you have a good pressure.
- Start rubbing your decal on the canvas being careful to apply generous pressure to all areas of the decal.
- Gently pull the decal backing away from the decal, be careful not to tear any letters that might not have stuck to your canvas. You may need to go over a few spots again.
- After you are all done with the decal, start applying thin layers of Modge Podge over the whole canvas, allowing it to dry completely in between layers.
Stand back and admire your wonderful one of a kind canvas!